Band of Gypsies
The month of May is rapidly coming to an end, and for many, the end of the school year follows. Here at State, we’ve traded in our equipment and hung up our uniforms marking the end of the 2015-2016 color guard season as well.
This year was a whirlwind, but the team came out stronger than ever. We put in countless hours of practice and effort, traveled hundreds of miles together, and put our hearts into our performances.
This past season, we were given some amazing opportunities! We traveled up and down Southern California for both the West Coast Winter Guard and the Winter Guard Association of Southern California circuits. For WGI, we packed up our Band of Gypsies into a charter bus and rode to the Las Vegas Regional, then later flew to Dayton, Ohio to compete in this year’s World Championships where we placed as semi-finalists and had a snow day!
For those of you that would like to spin with but may not be old enough to audition, or if you’re looking for more experience, we are also holding summer camps. Here is thecinformation for those as well:
- Friday – Sunday, June 24th - 26th, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Friday – Sunday, July 22nd - 24th, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Each session will offer instruction in flag, dance, rifle, and sabre
- These will be offered in different levels, from Beginner to Advanced
- Different instructors and different routines will be taught at each camp
- Lunch and dinner will be provided for the weekend!
- These will be both indoors & outdoors, so dress appropriately
- All participants will receive a camp t-shirt and SDSU gear
- Friends & family are welcome at the free Showcase at the end of camp, where participants can show off what they’ve learned
Registration is online on our website under “Summer Clinics." The clinics are $200 per participant, per weekend (if you do both, a total of $400) HOWEVER, if 5 students from the same school attend, it’s $150 per participant, per weekend so bring your friends! Cash, check, and credit card are accepted.
For these clinics, we do ask that you print out our participation waiver, and bring the completed copy with you to the first day of camp. Please submit it during registration. The waiver can be accessed on the Summer Clinics page. IF YOU ARE UNDER 18, you MUST have you parent or guardian sign this waiver.