We hope everyone is having a great summer so far!
Our team has been involved in a number of events the past couple weeks, and we’ve had so much fun being involved in the community.
The SDSU color guard invited friends and family to perform with us in the San Diego Pride Parade. Our flag and pom lines marched with the SDSU student body, the Aztec Diamonds, and President Hirshman. A big thank you to all that joined us!
The color guard also participated in So You Think You Can Dance’s National Dance Day. The team learned the dance routine and made a video to send in to the company. We had a blast! Check it out on our Vlog on YouTube.
Marching season has begun!
Guard camp starts Monday, August 15th and runs through Friday, August 19th from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Band camp starts the week after, running from August 22nd through the 26th, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
If you still wish to join the team, it’s not too late! We will be accepting new members until the first day of classes at SDSU. For information, please contact our coach:
Are you ready for Fall 2017? Some tips and tricks to survive the camps will be listed below!
- Sunscreen is you best friend. Choose a high SPF, waterproof variety (the spray type is easier & faster to reapply on breaks)
- Wearing a hat will protect your face & your scalp! No one wants a sunburn on the top of their head
- Wear running shoes! Vans or converse are NOT recommend
- Invest in a large water bottle
- Bring a small rag—you can wet it with cold water to keep your neck cool
- Sunglasses. Bring a pair (or two), equipment is hard to against the sun
- Gloves! Weapon line, your hands will thank you
- Appropriate clothing. Tank tops, sports bras, and shorts are highly recommended
- Don’t forget your dotbooks! Get a keychain or a lanyard if you need it. You can layer clear boxing tape over it to “laminate” it. Don’t crumple it up in your sweaty clothing or you’ll lose it forever
- Tape! Especially white, black, and red
- Make sure you eat a healthy breakfast before practice! Treat your bodies nicely; you’ll be working hard and you want to take care of yourself! Bring light snacks such as fruits, veggies, and granola bars. You don’t want anything ti melt or spike your sugar levels
- Drink water throughout the day, not just at practice. Drink a glass of water before you go to bed the night before, and a few glasses of water before your breakfast to prepare for the day! You need a lot more than you think you do
Good luck, and have fun!